Thursday, September 11, 2008

Total Shop Overhaul

About a week ago I found myself looking at the transaction pages for the first sales that I made after joining Etsy. I don't remember why I thought to go look at them, but there I was, staring at the first thing I ever listed (which was, not surprisingly, an early rendition of a Coffee Corset). Then I looked at some of my other first listings ... amazed that the things sold with such awful photos attached to them. I laughed at my photography skills and thought "Gosh, that was SO long ago!". Then, suddenly, I had this terrible sinking feeling as I realized that the pictures that graced 216 currently listed items weren't much better than my original attempts. "I really should do something about my pictures", I thought.

I immediately went into shop overhaul overdrive. I built a new and improved light box system. I picked out a couple of choices for new fabric backgrounds (that burlap look just wasn't doing it for me anymore!), took some shots, and asked for advice in the Etsy forums. The forum voters picked the dark chocolate brown satin, so I went with that. I started pulling out ALL 216 corsets and reshooting photos of each of them. Every 20 corsets I stopped and edited the listings so that the new photos were in place. It took many, many hours of work, but I was really happy with what I was seeing.

All photos rehot and uploaded: At that point I *almost* stopped because I was feeling quite proud of myself. But I pushed ahead and made a new banner that matched the new photo style. Even better! Then I went through every bit of profile, appearance, etc. and made sure everything was up to date and clear. Done! There wasn't anything left to "fix" and I could sit back at last and appreciate the work I'd done.

I'm thrilled with the new look of the shop and the positive feedback I've gotten from others is great, too. Now I can get back to sewing!

No comments: